Thursday, October 9, 2008

One Talent Wonder

I've been blessed to know some amazing people. I first really started noticing this while serving an LDS mission in Brazil. I served with a lot of amazing women that changed my life forever.
I continue to be astounded by those with whom I come into contact. The more I get to know each one, the more impressed and humbled I am by their many strengths. If I allow myself, I start to feel a twinge of sadness that I am not quite up to par with these ladies, and it makes me stop and wonder how it was decided as to how many strengths and talents we would each be given. Which in turn reminds me of the parable found in Matthew 25:15-28 where it talks about how each person is given a different amount of talents and based on the talents we receive, there are certain requirements attached.
And then I start to not mind so much being one of the ones that may not have as many talents as another, because, just imagine, if I had more talents, would I really have time to blog (Disclaimer: There are many blogs out there that are beneficial and helpful and thus a great use of your/my time, this one just doesn't happen to be one of those) or do the other very important things with which I occupy my time? In fact, all you many talented women (or men, if any actually read this...) out there, do you really think you should be reading this right now? I'm pretty sure you've got some talents to be developing.
So, yea, I think I'm okay with my one talent and I'll just continue to relish in the goodness of the many talented people with whom I am privileged to associate...
So, here's to the One Talent Wonder...



Just try to tell me that face doesn't scream TALENT (Click on picture to see the real talent in action)!

8 comments:

megwrites said...

Kate you are so in trouble for this post...
here are some of your talents that I thought of in about two seconds (which means you have a million more than this):
-incredible spirituality
-perseverance
-patience
-yummy baking skills
-organizing
-cleaning
-cute dressing skills
-thriftiness
-running
-making your home a fun and relaxing place to be
-great at being a member missionary
-you are a good friend and really care about other people
-you are so good with kids
-gift of charity
-faith in Christ
-the ability to laugh at yourself

Tyler said...

So many things to respond to in this post! Yes, I'm reading your blog and yes, most people would agree that I am a man. Thank you for bringing up my poor use of time. I think you set your standards too high for defining talents. I seem to recall you have quite an affinity for squirting mashed potatoes through your teeth. What a yummy talent that is! I am grateful to have witnessed that talent in action. I'm really glad you have this blog, it's been nice to catch up, in a way, on what you guys are up to.

Anonymous said...

wow..I didnt know you had that talent so I guess that means that you have more thatn ONE talent! Nutmeg named a bunch that I would hae put down PLUS you are a great friend who can be trusted and loved! Its hard these days to find a genuine friend and I dont have to look far cause I have one in you!

Kat said...

Kate, I love how you mixed seriousness with hilarity in that post! And THAT is a talent. And this picture reminds me of the picture that I have of you after you won a pudding eating contest...yet another talent :). Plus all of the serious talents that have already been mentioned. You ARE much more than a one talent wonder.

Mike and Jenny said...

I seem to recall you being a great pianist, and I know that you're one of the most talented social workers I know and those skills we had to develop and use with the SED kids I'm sure come in very handy with being a mom, another realm you total excel in.

Anonymous said...

you are totally awesome!! I do remember you winning the 'funny face' contest and I can see that you certainly have continued to develop that talent. ON the serious side, you are a totally awesome young woman and I am continually overwhelmed with your beauty inside and out. You are so kind and caring and truly an example to everyone.......don't ever sell yourself short. We LOVE you!!!

Anonymous said...

Brant wants to know if you got that talent by practicing on Izak and Landon. I told him that is is a natural gift that you have worked at fully developing

Alison said...

You MUST show off the mashed potatoes thru the teeth talent at an Enrichment activity. I'll make some calls for you...

Email me. abosen at cox dot net