Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm the victim here, I'm the victim

So the other day I had one of those moments with my child, you know, the kind where you wish you could pretend they weren't your own (or is that just me?)...we were walking out of a grocery store and my child (who will remain nameless to keep his pride intact) began to have the biggest melt down ever. Flailing arms, screaming, kicking, biting. You name it. He was all over it. Literally. The only thing I could do was to restrain him (I knew my proper restraint training as a social worker would come in handy sometime!). As people were walking by I was getting the evil eye. I could see the wheels in their minds turning (How dare that mom...that poor little boy....look at his cute little brown eyes, if only he had a chance with a good mom...why i outta...) I mean, look at this kid, could he really be capable of such behaviors?


Don't be fooled by that cute, adorable face you see with those big, brown eyes. Because, truth be told, the shirt says it all...


So, we started a behavior chart for the little monster. He earns stickers for different good behaviors throughout the day. Once he earns enough stickers to get to the star, he earns a prize. I explained the rules of the behavior chart to him. He then clarified by asking, "So, once I get all the way to the star, I get a prize, right?". I told him that was right. So, take a look at where he put the next two stickers...



My little monster is very smart. In fact, whenever I am sick, he always knows how to help me feel better.
Me:Izak, I feel sick.
Izak: Well then, go poop.

It's as simple as that people.

And now you see why I keep my little monster around. And you all thought it was just because he is so cute and charming.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man I hate that! (Public display of breakdown) You know I've learned one thing, the people that give you the evil eye are our parents age or OLDER! OR DONT have kids! Our parents and older are the generation of "Kids are to be seen and not heard" (so why where you taking him to the store with you anyway! Geez the store is only for parents! and the people who have no kids just have NO CLUE! (I may have given some judgement when I was a teenager cause I didnt have a CLUE!)

That chart is so cute and those stickers are adorable...Connor did the same thing...we have a pirate chart and he would put himself on the boat everytime rater than follow the trail to the boat! Hello!

Cute shirt! is that what you went to the store to buy :0)

Also I am not feeling well today so tell Izak thanks for the good council..I think I'll take it!

Anonymous said...

I've gotten so much help using behavior charts with my little ones on this website: www.freebehaviorcharts.com

If you use a smaller chart from that website, maybe your son won't need to "cheat" to get to the end of the chart because he'll see it's so close anyway.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Your son is adorable!

Alison said...

Once, ok... more than once... when people are giving me that evil eye (btw, I might be your mother's age??? and I would NEVER give you or anyone that evil eye...) I look squarely at the child, and say, just loud enough for evil eye giver to hear... "wait until I get you back to your mother. She cannot pay me enough for this!!!"

Oh, and I'm smart like Izak. When my kids aren't feeling well... my first suggestion is to go drink some water. My second suggestion... go poop!

Mike and Jenny said...

Too funny Kate, although I'm sure you didn't think so at the time. Looks like all those years as a social worker are really paying off, big fan of the behavior charts!

lamack said...

Oh wow, Drew and Izak would get along great! Drew used to do that only while he was screaming, flailing etc. he would yell, "Ouch! Mom Ouch!" Even though we weren't doing anything to him. We really got some looks with that! Kids are pretty smart.