Saturday, October 25, 2008

13 Down, 13 To Go

So, today I ran my first 1/2 marathon race. I figured pictures would depict how I felt better than I could put into words...
You'll have to excuse the self-portraits, I had to go alone to the race since Dave had another full day of studying.


So naive as to what awaited....


Okay, so it wasn't quite that bad....more like....



Yea. So, it was pretty hard. I'm still not sure how I'm going to manage twice that distance. But, I got my time goal, so I was REALLY excited about that....
Special thanks must go out to the following individuals for helping me achieve my goal today:
The YMCA director who allowed this poor (literally) girl to register and run despite the inability to pay the entrance fee.
My husband who wrestled the boys for 3 hours before handing them off to the next victim.
My friends, Dave and Shelly, for watching the boys until I got back and not kicking me out of their home despite my horrendous stench.
My friend Kathleen who came and cheered for me at the finish line and gave me a great congratulations gift!

On another note, today I discovered the key to keeping your kids from crying. And it only cost me $4 for this amazingly cry-free day with my 3-year-old...


He had already taken his nap by now, so the paint was smeared.

Yep. Anytime Izak would start to cry, I'd remind him that if he cries his paint would smear. Worked like a charm. Everytime. Sad to see the paint go tonight. Until tomorrow. I will be painting his face everyday from now on. The best $4 I ever spent.

And last of all (I promise, this post will end. Maybe.)...the boys and I (Dave not included-in fact, he's still studiously studying as I type this) went to the city halloween party tonight. It was cute to take them. They had lots of fun things... we went trick-or-treating, went to the dragons' petting zoo (they had snakes, cockroaches (which I did NOT touch-too many bad memories from Brazil), bearded dragons, and tarantulas), and a puppet show. It was really cute.



It was a good day. How was yours?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job on your running! I am proud of you! That is so funny with the paint and not crying but so awesome....! Glad you had a great day..the kids look cute in their costumes!

Kat said...

Oh your self portraits are GREAT! Sorry, I need to send you the picture of us at the finish line, but I need to find the cord that allows me to upload photos. I love Izaks face painting, who knew that was the key to all your happiness?!! Oh, and by the way, I am going to email you how to eat an artichoke after we try it tonight for dinner :).

Nancy said...

I'm sor impressed with your 1/2 marathon! When do you run your marathon? I'm sorry we keep missing you guys, I swear we aren't avoiding your phone calls. To bad we missed out on the cookies too.

Dave and Shelly said...

Kate, great job on the run. We did have to leave our doors open for about 3 hours after you left, but the stench is gone now. Best of luck on the last 13.1, they're a doozy...

ltandjbcox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Team Seguritan said...

I accidently posted a comment under my mom's blog user ID and had to delete it. OOPS! Here's what I wrote:

You are so my hero! I just want you to know that I will NEVER run with you in any race. But I did get your comment, and I am smiling and returning you 2 winks ;) ;) Does that count?

As for the recipe, I don't have one, but I can tell you what I use. Probably don't want it on your comment board though, so send me an e-mail and I'll hook you up.

KT

Liz Huntsman said...

So cute! I'm so jealous about your run-I want to do that, but I've been having a hard time getting off my butt. You're amazing! Your kids are so adorable; I love the Halloween Costumes! (Tyler wont get within 5 feet of his.) It sounds like you guys are having so much fun!

Chris is doing great in school. It's stressful (mostly for me because I don't see him for weeks at a time), but at least the semester is almost over and we'll have a couple weeks together. I know you know how I feel-and it totally sucks. 3 MORE YEARS!!! Ahh! (Then internship.) Will it ever end? LOL!

Will you guys be coming for Christmas? I'd be so sad if we didn't get together for a Xmas Party this year!

Mike and Jenny said...

Wow - I am seriously impressed, a half marathon! It makes me tired and sick just thinking about it! That's awesome! You should come and do the Las Vegas Marathon in Vegas, I think it's usually in Dec/Jan and I think there's an option to do half. Plus I would get to see you!!! Congrats on meeting your time goal too!

April said...

Congrats on finishing 13 miles! WOW! That's a LONG way! I'm excited to hear about your marathon!

Izak's face paint is so cute! I love that it keeps him from crying!

And, I ran into Luisa at Costco the other day. It made me miss seeing you at church every once in a while! :(

lamack said...

That is awesome! I remember when I ran a half marathon Lamon ran it with me, and in the last couple of miles he tried to start up a conversation. I was like, "Lamon shut up you loser!" I actually said that. I didn't want to talk! When I was done he was like, "Want to run another one?" because I was thinking I wanted to do a marathon. That put it in perspective! I have a ways to go! I wish you were here. We could run together!

Alison said...

marathon... schmarathon...

whatever!

Whitni said...

I love your before and after pictures!!

Unknown said...

So the cry free day of Izak reminded me a story that I thought I would share with you. My boss just got back from disneyland with her kids and she loves to go to disneyland because that means her kids won't cry the whole time! I bet you can't guess why? She told them that they have camera's everywhere in disney land, which is true; but that they are there to watch for the crying children. She said "Disneyland is the happiest place on earth and they don't allow crying children on here, so if you cry they will kick you out, so you can't cry."
Ha Ha Ha! I laughed so hard! So maybe you can try that at disneyland too. hahaha!