Tuesday, October 28, 2008

One Quarter Down (Almost), A Lot More to Go

In two weeks, Dave will complete his first quarter. You know, after working so hard for a common goal for over 5 years, it feels so good to be where we're at. I feel like we've accomplished SO much just to get here. I'm not sure if it's because we worked so hard and had to overcome so much to get to where we are today, but so far, medical school has been good to us. Dave brings home amazing grades every week. We have a system that is working for us. Dave is a great support to me and tries to take care of the kids in the time he has available so that I get time to do stuff for me. I can do this. We can do this. Four years of this is doable. It feels great to know that.
Before we came here we heard a lot of negativity regarding medical school and the effects it has on marriages/families. It's nice to be here, and living it, and to realize that it can be done. Just like anything else, if we really want it, it's going to take work. And working together. It can be done. We will do it. And I'm grateful for the last 5+ years and how much they prepared us for this. Compared to some previous struggles, I welcome this one. This struggle is an exciting one. One where I see Dave accomplishing his dream day by day, week by week. A dream he's had for a long time. It's exciting. And I love to be a part of it. I'm so proud of Dave already.

And here's the man of the hour in all his glory...

5 comments:

Alison said...

Medical school may take a long time compared to other worthy endeavors... like... oh, I don't know... Oh, like getting rid of a nasty case of head lice... but really so much more worth the effort. That is my opinion. Take it, or leave it.

Mike and Jenny said...

Congrats on making it through so far with flying colors!

Chelle and Aaron said...

If it's anything like Dental school it will go surprisingly fast. Not while you are in it per say, but when it is all said and done you will wonder how on earth it went so quickly. Try to enjoy it...there is some strange freedoms that come with student life (despite the abject poverty, overwhelming stress and lack of free time).

Karen Decker said...

David- You were in one of my dreams nights ago. WEIRD. Anyway-You were older, 10 pounds heavier, (that comes with age, sorry), and your hair was lighter- going blonde instead of grey. You wore a lab coat and other than that I can't remember why you were there or what you were doing. You were well established in your profession, doing something important, and happy. Bizzare! Love from Chris' mom.

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of Dave too. What a wonderful family you make, and it's all in the way you look at the struggles. This one will be hard, but so amazing and you guys will be stronger for it. I love you!