Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ready or Not, Here I Go

You know the only thing more unsmarter than someone who willing chooses to run 26.2 miles? Someone who willing chooses to PAY $100 to run 26.2 miles. Seriously. Up until a few days ago I considered myself pretty savvy and frugal when it came to money. No longer can I claim to be either one of those. I figured it out and I'm paying $1 for every 1/4 mile I run. I might as well just throw out $4 at every mile, then I bet I'd get a lot of people cheering for me. But, I'm officially in the "very unsmart" category now and will be running my first (and heaven help me-ONLY) marathon in 1 1/2 weeks. I'm starting to get progressively more and more nervous as it draws closer. Especially when I realized I almost forgot to prepare for THE most important part of the race...the FINISH. I mean, think about it, that's when the most people will be watching me, right? And pictures, oh, pictures will be taken so that I can have PROOF that I'm incredibly unsmart (I know, I know, as if I need proof for that!), therefore I have to look my best.  So as I was running the other day, I started to practice a few different finishing strategies (that's when you know you run slow-you have no problem jumping and throwing your arms randomly in the air while running). I'm sure I looked awesome. So, here's the deal. Please help me decide how I should finish this beast. I set up a poll on the side of my blog so you can vote for how I should finish the race. Whichever one has the most votes is the one I'll do...thanks for humoring me.


The "I'm so glad I'm never doing that again" pose

The "If you ran as slow as I do, you'd have this much energy left too" pose

The "My legs are so cramped, I can't straighten them" pose


The "My mom made me take ballet when I was little and this is all I learned" pose


Well, get a votin' people, you've only got 1 1/2 weeks!

21 comments:

Luisa said...

You're hilarious Kate! Love you.
PS I was the first voter. YES!

Alison said...

You.are.a.NUT.

Nikki said...

great post, I wish I was doing it with you, but you would get bored with my crawling for the last... 25 miles ;o)

Nancy said...

My favorite is the ballet pose! I really hope it goes well for you and that you aren't crawling accross the line. I wish I could be there to see the finish line theatrics but I'll be thinking about you as I sit in church!

Anonymous said...

I totally love you and am so totally proud of you for doing this despite the many obstacles it presented....such as those two cute boys!!! the ballet pose is gorgeous...I knew those ballet lessons would pay off big time. wish i could get to see you do this , take LOTS of pictures\

love mom

Anonymous said...

What date are you doing this? So I can think about you during your hour (s)*Shows how much I know I have not idea how long these things take!* of pain..NO but really you will do great! I must say I am shocked you'd pay to run! :) ha ha you couldnt PAY ME to run....:)Hence why I dont have a "Lean machine" such as you! :0) Good luck! I voted like 5 times(I thought I'd cheat like Dave so often does ha ha!)....I like the first one!

Amy said...

You are so cute Kate. I love the pics. That is so great that you are doing this. What an accomplishment. I would totally try it if I could run. I am practicing on the treadmill this year so we will see how I do. Good luck to you!!

Mike and Jenny said...

You make me laugh Kate! I voted for pose 1. Is the marathon in AZ? Anybody running it with you? If I lived there I would go and cheer you on.

Chelle and Aaron said...

Way to go Kate, I am jealous. I voted, but honestly if you can get up enough energy to do any of these awesome poses you will be forever my hero.

Anonymous said...

I love all the pose's! way better then I will ever do. I don't even run to my mailbox!!!!! good luck and have fun!

lamack said...

All the poses are fabulous, but the "I can't straighten my legs" pose made me laugh so hard I almost peed my pants . . . so I vote for that one!

April said...

You are seriously HILARIOUS! Good luck running your $100 marathon!

Liz Huntsman said...

LOL! I'm going to be honest ... I like the first one!

Nilda Noel said...

What an awesome post! You are definitely not "unsmart"...way to go. I'm proud of you already and you haven't even ran the "big race" yet.

Bonnie said...

Okay, I can't believe everyone in the ward has found your blog...I feel like the last to know! Unless you didn't want me to know?? You are my hero for running a marathon. Good luck! By the way, that Friendships post...hilarious!

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

Kate, do you live in Peoria? How are you liking it? Are you renting or do you own your home? Your nieghborhood looks really nice. I have really been struggling to find a neighborhood that looks clean and taken care of.

Harvey Family said...

That is hilarious! Good for you for going out there and doing it! I keep telling myself I'm going to train and attempt a marathon but then the brownies seem to get in the way! Good luck, and the ballet pose is my favorite! ;)

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

You need to give me your zip code sometime and I will see how close it is to my husband's work. That would be nice to have another friend close by.

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW! You are not short on people reading your blog! 18 comments! I am impressed! will you ever answer my email?

misa_kay said...

Kate! I love you so much! Give the boys my love! I am so sad I am not able to be in Arizona this weekend to cheer you on during your marathon! Good luck my dear and definitely the ballet pose!
Love you,
Marisa

Janae said...

Oh Kate, you make me laugh! Just the thought of running a marathon makes me want to throw up. But since you’re so awesome, I know you will finish, finish well, and finish without throwing up. Now THAT is talent!