Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I'm alive!

Signs that (long distance) running may not be for you:
1. You get super grumpy and mean to your husband every time right before a long distance run.
2. You have to bribe yourself to go running by eating a peanut m&m for every mile you go.
3. Instead of stretching and/or visualizing your performance right before your marathon, you put your make up on.
4. You have to buy yourself cute workout clothes to motivate yourself to go running.
5. You complain as much as your four-year-old does about going running.
6. The most exciting part about running a marathon is so you can stop running so much.

And that is why I now present to you the results of my one AND ONLY marathon....

A picture of me before I was stripped of my innocence to many pants being dropped to do their business in every bush and corner to be found along the way. (Note to self: Next time you're wondering why someone randomly ran over to a bush RIGHT NEXT TO THE STREET, don't watch to find out)

Can we just start this thing so I'm not so stinkin' cold?!

13.1 miles, half way done! (Click on this picture to see the guy next to me-he ran like that the WHOLE way (I think I heard him saying something about stuff getting all over his shoes while he was doing something behind a bush-whatever that meant!))

Unfortunately, I have no proof that I finished the marathon (Dave was so excited about me finishing-he left the camera in the car for that part!)...so, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it...and that I did the infamous ballerina jump, which I did. And you all would've been proud. It was a sweet finish. I'm sorry to disappoint some of you, but unfortunately, I couldn't quite make my goal of 5 hours. I caved to temptation and I sped up just a little bit. I hope you will all still be proud of me despite my obvious sign of weakness. 

But in all seriousness, it was great. It went as well as I could've hoped for. And thank you to everyone that was so sweet and supportive of me. I have some really amazing friends and family. You all made me feel so loved by sending and giving me cards, GU packs, good luck phone calls, a VERY SWEET good luck bag of goodies, facebook well wishes, and LONG HOURS of driving in a car from California and Utah. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. But, the greatest sign of love and support has to go to my husband. Dave was SO excited to see me run as much as possible that after he cheered me on at mile 4 he quickly got in the car, drove for about 10 minutes, jumped out, and ran to the next spot to cheer me on. He patiently waited for 15 minutes to cheer me on and didn't even get frustrated when I was nowhere in sight. And then he looked down the street and wondered why all the spectators looked familiar. He then realized he was 2 blocks down from where he had last faithfully cheered me on....thank you Dave for cheering me on every chance you got!!

18 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow look at you, miss I've run for almost 5 hours straight! I have to admit that I was curious enough to get online yesterday and find your time and I thought you did awesome! So Kate Martell you've run the PF Chang's Marathon, what are you going to do next?

Heidi said...

Good for you! What is it with you, & like everyone in Jaron's family? You all have these goals, and things you want to accomplish. The worst part is that you go & do it! Thus leaving the rest of us in your dust! Seriously, congratulations. Needless to say, a marathon isn't one of my life long goals. But kudos to you for doing it.

Anonymous said...

Thats sick..people were seriously going to the bathroom along the route!?...WHY didnt they provide porta potties along the route?? Can you imagine some poor innocent kid thinking they stepped in "Dog Doo" and come to find out its MUCH WORST! IKY! Other than that piece of info...GREAT JOB KATE! Were glad you had the chance to do something in your dreams....

Toni said...

Congrats Kate! You have accomplished something that I could never do. Very impressive. I think it's amazing.

Nikki said...

equally amazing and crazy! Congratulations!

Running Mom said...

Congratulations! Having never run a marathon I think the world of anyone who has. Under 5 hours is awesome! I'm so impressed.

Janae said...

Yay, Kate! I’m so excited for you, and I bet you are excited to not have to do that again! Congrats on surviving, and doing well at the same time!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! That has to be an awesome sense of accomplishment, and that is one great husband!

Kat said...

Good job in achieving one of your life goal/dream!!!!! I think that is so awesome.

lamack said...

You are so awesome!!!!! Congratulations!

Mike and Jenny said...

Way to go Kate! You're awesome!!!

Alison said...

I'm sooooooooo proud! And not in the least bit hesitant to tell the world of my pride.

You ROCK!!!

Team Seguritan said...

Just read your last 4 posts. You are so funny! And Amazing! Thanks for the inspirations...NO I'm not going to run a marathon EVER!, but maybe I'll do something hard one day. Sounds like some serious commitment huh?

Anyway, you are a funny girl and congrats!

KT

Luisa said...

So- you're all talking about the people and the bushes-- what did you do?

Brewer's Ink said...

Congratulations! Obviously - "You can do hard things!" The rest of your life should be a piece of cake! Right? We're very proud of you.

Janessa Taylor said...

You are so inspirational!!! Great job!! At this point I just need to get off the couch and start working out again...

Betsy Fowler said...

Congrats Kate! I didn't realize that it was so soon! You are awesome!!!!! WAY PROUD OF YOU GIRLIE!

Nilda Noel said...

GREAT JOB! I'm proud of you for reaching your goal. I love the way your write, so funny, in a good way.