Monday, March 9, 2009

One Day, They'll Thank Me

So last week we took our children to the happiest place on earth. That's right. Disney-freakin'-expensive-land. (And they say you can't buy happiness! Ha!) Well, knowing that these chances only come so often, I knew my kids would want to make the most of it. So, I, being the wonderful mother I am, made sure it was everything they could've hoped for. 

For instance, when Izak wanted to ride the same ride more than once, I of course told him no! I mean, can you imagine how mad he would be at me if 10 years from now he found out he didn't ride ALL the rides at Disneyland because his lame mom let him go on the same rides over and over again? 

I even got his Maama (Grandma) to understand the importance of helping Izak to realize what he really wanted, even if that meant causing a few small heart aches in the moment in order to create lasting happiness in the future. Like the time that Izak REALLY wanted Lightning McQueen ears instead of Mickey Mouse ears-just think about it. 10 years from now that kid's not going to even know who Lightning McQueen is, let alone want to be wearing his EARS around! But you'd better believe he's still going to be sporting Mickey Mouse in Junior High. 

And then of course I couldn't believe it when Izak said he was all done and ready to go home and it was still 3 hours until closing! I can just imagine never living down how I could have possibly allowed him to leave when there was still plenty more action to get in on before the day was over. I couldn't believe he tried the old, "But my feet are so tired, I can't walk anymore" routine. Puh-lease

Yep. Disneyland was ALL about the kids. And one day, they'll thank me for it.

See how much fun we had?






We actually had a really great time-thanks to Dave's twin sister and her husband for being amazing hosts. They gave us their bed, cooked us amazing food every day, and helped take care of our kids when they woke up stinkin' early! And Maama was so great to meet us there, and spoiled our kids (and us by helping so much with them!!) only the way a Grandma can!! It was great, thanks guys!!

13 comments:

Nikki said...

wow, there is stuff there that I have never even seen! Too cool.
I would have done the exact same thing... especially the ears.

Anonymous said...

agreed where are those Cars? I didnt see those either! :0) or that Flower thing your sitting in front of!

lamack said...

At least you attempted to take your kids to Disneyland. Me and Lamon are going by ourselves in April. We are pretty much stoked.
We totally want to do the Wasatch Back, but they want 1200 buckaroos per team. Our pocket books are a little shallow. That would be 200 dollars for me and Lamon to run. We were all talking about doing it, and looked up the info . . . we decided that we are all too poor. But I've heard it is so awesome!

Amy said...

You absolutely made the right choices. I can see where you are coming from completely. Especially about the mickey mouse ears. It sounds like you guys had a great time. I am glad your family got to experience all the wonders of Disneyland. The kids are getting so big!

Nancy said...

Sure whish my mom would have done some of these kind things for me.. Then maybe I wouldn't have so many comlexes!
I love the picture with Matter (sp?). But the best really is that face you pulled, Kate, in that first picture. Reminds me of the post about your special talent (face making)!

kate said...

the best part is nancy, i wasn't even purposefully making that face!

Charity said...

Uggh. I'd give anything to see grass again...how come I wasn't invited?
Looks like you had a great time.

Brewer's Ink said...

Ah - Disneyland. It makes me tired just thinking about it, but we've got to make the trek out there soon too.

Anonymous said...

sounds like an amazing trip! I haven't been there in so long....We are going for Christmas this year and I can't wait!

Heidi said...

First, Jaron says Landon is getting huge. (Not in a bad way, he's just growing up.) Next time can we come? You clearly know how to make sure your KIDS have a memorable time. Jaxen will appreciate what we've learned from you.

P.S. Do you think Izak will remember the coaxing he received about what he REALLY wanted to do?

Mike and Jenny said...

Very cool. Sounds like a great trip, I want to go!

Shannon said...

It really looks like the happiest place on earth just by looking at the first picture! Any tips you want to give me before we head to Disneyland? Thanks for always making me laugh. Love your blog!

Keep Your Sunny Side Up said...

Kate, the picture with Buzz is priceless. Your boys are so handsome! We have never ever taken our kids to Disneyland. What kind of parents are we?