Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Holidays

It was a flawless plan. 

That Arby's sign was ridiculously huge. I mean, yes, everyone loves curly fries-but who needs a life size sign to remind them of that? It was set in the perfect place for the kidnapping. Right inside the first set of doors but outside the second set-where the employees worked. So, my sister, friend, and I made the final plans as to how it would go down. 

We had nothing better to do-that is, besides being in band class. Two would grab the bigger-than-life sign and one would be the get-away driver. It almost went off without a hitch. That dang sign was so huge we couldn't shut the back door of our Toyota Camry. A small glitch, but easily overcome by simply holding the open door (with the sign sticking out) while driving down Highway 395. 

We quickly parked the car and headed into school for 7th period. On the way to class my sister informed me that she had cut her finger on the curly of the fry and needed a band-aid from the office. We bid farewell to our friend and headed for the office. 

As we opened the door to the office the school police officer stopped us dead in our tracks. "Where have you been girls?" We didn't know what to say. "I just heard from dispatch that someone stole a sign from Arby's...Was it you two? Because they said the get-away car had "Happy Holidays" written across the entire back window and I know that is your car."

"She did it!" I screamed as I pointed to my sister and then I did one of the stupidest things I've ever done (And I've done a lot.)....I ran. And my sister ran after me. And the police officer ran after her. Through the halls. During passing hour. With students everywhere. Stopping to watch the spectacle of a girl running, with another girl right behind her, with an officer right behind her. And then I remembered the officer knew me by name. And knew my parents. And knew where I lived. So I stopped running. 

It was a flawless plan...
...except for the huge "Happy Holidays" sign written in fake snow across our back window-
in the middle of March.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

man I learn more and more about you every time! I NEVER would have guessed!

HAPPY HOLIDAY sign in March-YES

Stealing Arbys sign-NO

Running -YES

All with your Sister -YES :0)

I love you Kate!

Toni said...

Oh my gosh. I'm laughing so hard I think I may wake my kids. You crack me up!!! That reminded me of my own "kidnapping" story.....kidnapping four singing Christmas angels from a unsuspecting front yard. Hmmmm, may have to post that one...Seriously Kate, you are priceless.

Nancy said...

Oh Kate! I always figured your boys would learn mischief from Dave, but nope they'll get it all from you! I would love to have been there to watch it all go down.

Nikki said...

how un-007 of you.
Disappointing.

Rowboat said...

nice. that cracks me up. i knew you were a delinquent. i just knew it. so where's my favorite lipstick and undies? i'm checking your bathroom pronto!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I have shared that story many times and have laughed about it every time! Certainly not the brightest thing the two of you ever did...and I am just hoping there is enough distance between you now to keep you out of trouble. I am a bit worried about this summer though...In any case...I hope all delinquents turn out as well as you two...I love you dearly...Mom

Tara said...

Kate... you've been my Charlie's Angel partner in crime all these years and I didn't know it. We could have added your sign to my collection of stolen baricades, etc. along with my other criminal activities. Wait... Charlie's Angels stopped crime, not committed it. We'll have to come up with our own name. Are you coming out this summer? Email me!

Jody LaFlamme said...

That is so funny! My friend had some one rear end her and then left the scene. They didn't realize there front license plate fell off the car so the cops were behind them shortly!.

Shannon said...

I am sitting here reading this laughing hysterically! And now we know where your kids get their mischievious side from! SO funny.

Unknown said...

Wow, thanks for reminding me of that day...and thanks for saying "my friend". Hilarious.

Brewer's Ink said...

And you seem so innocent . . . RS encrichment posters beware . . .

Betsy Fowler said...

totally remember you telling me that story in Serra. Still funny. I love how you thought they wouldn't know it was you...like running would somehow make it better. :) so funny

Heidi said...

I gather from your last two posts that I loved working with you, but didn't really get to KNOW you!! It sounds to me like I would have really enjoyed having you as a friend in high school. So many fun things!

Luisa said...

Good thing I'm not her sister.