Thursday, February 5, 2009

Childfull Comments

I really have been neglecting to give a few 'shout outs' to some people that have really aided in this difficult thing called parenting. I've been blessed to have helpful bystanders at times when I've really needed it most, and I would be ungrateful if I did not publicly thank them for their service. 

First, a thank you must go out to the man in Las Vegas who, when he saw that I had two boys, looked at me and said, "wow, you've been busy". It's nice to be recognized for all that it takes to raise children these days....that's what he meant by "busy", right?

And then there's our HOA president. When she realized that I not only had one child, but TWO, she commented, "wow, you must really love children!". Thank you for noticing!

Then there was the time I had to run to Wal-Mart first thing in the morning and a concerned woman took it upon herself to declare to me that my child needed socks on. You know what I really appreciated about her? She recognized the importance of a democracy and took a poll with some other bystanders as to if my child was in need of socks or not and reported back to me once the results were in that, yes, he in fact did need socks.

And then lets not forget the helpful tip from the Airport Security personnel. They were very concerned when my child's face was flushed and reminded me to put sunscreen on him. Thank you, us Oregonians never did done have to use that there stuff.

Oh, and I appreciated the concerned Fry's employee that asked if my child was okay when he was in the middle of a royal tantrum. And when I reassured her that he was fine, she simply stated in disbelief, "Oh, that's just the way he is?!". Well, yes, sometimes, that's just the way he is (as some may have noticed yesterday at the park!). 

And last, but definitely not least, I appreciated my fellow flying mate and her assistance with my baby on the way to Oregon. When she recognized that my baby was less than thrilled to be stuck on an airplane, she walked me threw the steps to make his flight a little more enjoyable..."Um, does he need his diaper changed, because sometimes that helps." "Nope, he doesn't." "Is he hungry?" "No, he just doesn't like flying." "How long until we get there?" "About an hour." "An hour?! Cursidy, curse, curse, curse." 

Sometimes, when it's a rough day with  my children, and I'm just not sure what to do next, I go out in public and hope that someone will be available to give me some much needed advice.

Disclaimer: Just for the record, comments such as this do NOT offend me in any way. I only find them comical in nature and so I thought I would share. And, for the record, some days I really could use some help!

13 comments:

Luisa said...

Reminds me of when we were driving home for Christmas and I gave Eden the markers to play with. When we stopped at a Wal-mart in some po-dunk town in Idaho at least 4 different people said "Wow, someone sure got into the markers." I didn't bother telling them that I let her play with them and I really didn't care if she wrote on herself b/c they were washable and it kept her happy. It gives them something to feel good about. After I washed her a bystander then said "someone looks much better don't they?" Good thing I had them to tell me b/c I would have never known otherwise.

Anonymous said...

I dont get out enough obviously cause I dont have many times where someone has said something to me..there was however one time I remeber when I was taking Tehya to her 1st check up after she was born...remember is June (HOT) and I just carried her into the dr's and an old lady being assisted by her daughter (she had to be in her upper 80's looks and says "That baby needs a blanket, she needs to be wrapped up" her daughter is like "shh ok mom, she's ok its hot" her mother was not having it she proceeded to say "all babies need to be wrapped up!" It was funny!

Nikki said...

this post was hysterical!
Loved it!
I remember wanting to jump over the checkout girl and maul some woman in Frys because Karina was about a year old, sitting in the front of the cart... she fell over and bumped her head and (because she had no nap and no bottle) screamed bloody murder. The lady says, "that is why they have seat belts ya know?" She is so lucky my arms are so short or...
another lady at Wal-mart informed me that (it was MAY!!) I should really put a blanket on my baby cause it is really chilly inside the store?!?

Who are these people?
Let's write a book, because seriously every mother has these stories and everybody should really read our book and realize how insensitive and BIZARRE and inappropriate these comments are!

I super love that your friend let her daughter draw on herself. Brilliant. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Alison said...

I took my kids to a Target in California once... a few years ago. I was approached by a little lady, who might have been 4'10", who chewed me out (IN FRONT OF MY KIDS) for having too many kids! She wagged her finger at me even.

I told her, in the sickest, sweetest voice I could find... I'm sorry that your childhood was so miserable that your jealousy of my children causes you to act in such a vile manner.

Her response... "well, I never!!!"

I agree...you/we should write a book!

Brewer's Ink said...

Sometimes freedom of speech . . . is just a little TOO free. Looks are good too! When I did foster care, and went grocery shopping with my assortment of children of differing colors, I would watch people trying to calculate in their minds just how many lovers I had. Yeah, okay!

Maren said...

Kate--- I LOVE THIS POST!

Maren said...

ps I am all for a book!

Charity said...

I had someone at church come up to me and ask me "how my uterus was doing!" No, I wasn't expecting...

I also had someone tell me I had a lot of children. (3) I asked her if she had any and she responded no. I then told her the reason I had so many children was because someone had to make up for the ones she was never going to have to have...sometimes those comments really irk me!

Rachel Wagner. said...

I guess just imagine what they would say if they weren't trying to be nice. I'd rather have people be stupid and obvious than outright mean.

Kat said...

Your post was great, and the comments to your post HILARIOUS! A book is a good idea.

Heidi said...

Oh, Kate, there's no one like you! Great attitude about everything, at least at the end of the day, or a few weeks later! (Depending on the severity of the tantrum.)

We've really enjoyed people who notice that Jaxen sucks on his hands, comment on it, and they still feel the need to attempt touch his hands. We've gotten very good at preventing this. Especially with the cashier at Walmart!

Anonymous said...

You are so funny! When we had our dog people would do that to us. and that annoyed me. and it wansnt even my kid. I think I am going to have to find some good comebacks before I have children!

Harvey Family said...

I always am tempted to say,"What are your qualifications for telling me how to do my job?" That always happens on Wednesday senior citizen day at Fry's! Recker was biting the cart and I was concentrating on my shopping to notice until a grumpy old lady says, "do you know how much salminela is on those dirty carts?" No, but I'm sure your going to tell me! ha ha! Fun times!