Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Heart was Broken...

...for the little six year old boy that was being verbally abused in the store. Who was told that his parents' hoped his leg was broken. Who was berated over and over for a wrong doing.
My Heart was Angered...
...for the little boy when he was physically harmed and had a mark on his face five minutes later to show for it.
My Heart was Sad...
....when I saw the person standing right next to him turn around and face the other direction until the scene was over.

My Heart was Pounding...
...when I confronted the man and woman and while trying to empathize with the frustrations that sometimes come with children, also explaining to them at the same time that it is never okay to abuse your child. That abuse is against the law.
My Heart was Outraged...
...when the man replied by telling me that the boy got what he deserved. And then the man expounded on that by saying he would've killed him if they hadn't have been in the store.
My Heart was Racing...
...when the couple started verbally attacking me with profanity, screaming, and very close proximity to my face.

And then my heart was shocked...
...when a lady came up and told me that I wasn't setting a good example for my children by causing the scene. And then the man that helped me out with my groceries informed me that I shouldn't have handled it in such a way.

And I pondered this in my heart all the way home and all afternoon...how it was that I was treated as if I had caused a scene. How the employees quickly rushed me out of the store so as to not cause anymore disturbance. How I was told that I had done wrong. How I was made to feel embarassed for my actions.

But I am not embarassed. And as long as the safety of me or my children are not in jeopardy, I will continue to give voice to those children that don't have a voice. I will not allow the fear of others' actions to dictate my actions.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats a bad situation to be in! I dont honestly know what I would have done...I hope I wouldnt have been the person that turned away but I know I could have been. Sometimes I think that its not my bussiness how parents are diciplining their children, but then again there have been times where I have talked loud not directly at them but by them so they can hear me and know what I think of them....I need more courage like you...but I guess being a social worker helped you out on this one because you know the laws and stuff better than me what is concidered "Abuse"? when has a parent crossed the line? I am sorry you went through this and I am sorry that the store looked at you as the trouble maker/problem unfortunately these days its always the person in the right getting taken down! Thanks for standing up for what you knew to be right! I am sure those parents will think twice before doing that again! (sadly atleast in public)*If they dare do that in public think what is done to that poor kid in the home!*

Nancy said...

Wow Kate! I can't believe that was the response you got! I'm impressed with your bravery to stand up for that little guy. It shocks me sometimes, with the things that people do and say to their children. Don't let them get you down!

Unknown said...

You were not in the wrong what-so-ever. I was so angry when I read this, but my love for you has grown ever so more. I hope you do continue to stand up for those children who do not have a voice. I hope you show your children that good example to help those in need, to stand up for what is right, and to not let those around you mistreat and abuse you. You are one of the most wonderful people I have ever met, and I am so lucky to have someone like you who is willing to fight for abused children, even if it means "causing a scene." I love you so much! Your courage inspires me, and you inspire me to be a better person and get involved! Thanks for everything!

Mike and Jenny said...

You did the right thing Kate.

Maren said...

I only wish I was that brave! Good for you! Who knows, maybe that boy heard you come to his defense and saw that all the world is not bad!

Luisa said...

Wow! You wrote this up so well. You should be an author. Really well done Kate. Love you.

Liz Huntsman said...

Good Job! It's too bad that the other people reacted that way. Those parents probably would have gone home and thought about their actions if you would have had more support.

Alison said...

You did the right thing... oh, you did!

I think a welfare check on that child is in order... I can't believe the dad said he would have killed the kid.

I hope that I would have done the same thing!

Charity said...

I wish I could have been there with you so we could have been 2 on 1...It doesn't seem fair that many of us who are wishing we could have children, but can't have to see people like that blessed with children they don't deserve...better that a millstone be hanged about their neck...

good on ya. Way to go Kate!

April said...

HOLY COW! That makes me sick!! You definitely did the right thing! You're awesome like that!

Karen Decker said...

This is written marvelously well- As I started reading it I was imagining this was a poem or story you had come across and was merely passing it on for others to read- I was mortified when I realized it had it had actually happenned to you. It is so sad that no one else spoke up in defense of the child and to make sure he was safe. You absolutely did the right thing in confronting the adult/parent..It is a wonderful thing that your children see you sticking up for others who are being mistreated. I am so sorry that you were made to feel bad for doing the right thing. I do hope that the abused little child can feel some comfort that there is a kind woman who showed compassion for him and I pray that proper intervention occurs in his behalf before it is too late.

Anonymous said...

Kate, you rock! i love how strong you are. I would say that I can't believe that this happened but sadly I can. It is sad, outraging, and tragic that child abuse continues in our society and that most adults to nothing to chanage that, which is obvious by their reaction in the store. I am right there behind you, you amazing woman! Love you
Becca