Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thought Full Thursday

So the other day I was reading an article that was talking about legacies. It asked what type of legacy we will leave our children, whether it be the children we now have or the ones we will one day have. It made me stop and ponder on what legacies I want to leave my children. I wrote down in my journal the legacies I hope to leave my children and how I will achieve this. The legacies I wish to leave my children are simple:

1. I want them to know that they are loved.
2. I want them to know that they are special.
3. I want them to know there is a Father in Heaven that loves them and a Savior that suffered and died for any mistakes they will ever make or any hardships through which they will pass.
4. I want them to know that the gospel of Jesus Christ will bring them more happiness and peace than anything else ever could.

If I leave these legacies for my children, I will have succeeded as a parent. And if I leave these legacies for my children, how much better prepared will they be to go out and face the world than was I. It took me a long time to realize that I am loved. That I am special. And how vitally significant this knowledge is. It shapes my decisions every day of my life. I wonder what decisions I might have made differently had I known this years before (I am a slow learner). But how grateful I am to have this knowledge now. And how I hope to help my children have this knowledge at a much younger age than I so they can accomplish whatever they dream of accomplishing.

How about you...what legacies do you hope to leave your children (whether present or future)? What knowledge do you now have that you wished you had at an earlier stage in life?

3 comments:

megwrites said...

So one of the biggest things I want to leave my children with is the feeling that they are fun and enjoyable to be with. I guess that is my version of helping them feel special. It is really hard to do, though, especially cause they are so often Grouchy with a capital G.
The other legacy I can think of (in addition to yours, which are so great and I definitely want those for my children) is a love of learning and reading.

Rachel Wagner. said...

Your children are lucky to have a mother that is trying to leave them such a great legacy. You will be surprised how much of that legacy is instilled within the humdrum of daily life.

Anonymous said...

I love your thoughtful thursdays. They definitely make you think. I hope that my kids know how much their parents love them and are for them. And that I would do anything for my family. Also I guess it would not hurt to have them grow thinking that Army is the best thing ever since their old man is an officer in it.